Whenever I have multiple ZUCCHINIS in the fridge I ALWAYS say that I'll make chocolate zucchini MUFFINS...
But I NEVER do.
I either SPIRALIZE or GRATE or GRILL...
(Which are all FANTASTIC things to do with ZUCCHINI by the way....)
But then SOMETIMES....
They end up ROTTEN and FORGOTTEN...
But THIS time I finally DID IT!!!!
I did my RESEARCH.
I wasn't going to just make ANY old thing that comes up on a google search...
I wanted something HEALTHISH and DELISH.
I wanted to CREATE my OWN recipe.
I was feeling MOTIVATED!
Keeping this post a QUICKIE as I need to prepare for THANKSGIVING DINNER and perhaps experiment with a new version of my PUMPKIN MUFFINS.
I LOVE SQUASH!
I LOVE FALL!
NOW'S THE TIME
TO EAT THEM ALL!!!
(Yes, you were suppose to SHOUT that out. It`s one of my fall food cheers!)
I LOVE eating food when it is in season.
I also love APPLES and APPLE PICKING!
But that will be another post....
I looked in my PANTRY (which is really a PAX unit from IKEA....)
I decided I wanted to throw in a BUNCH of GOOD stuff into my BATTER.
(OK...Say BUNCH of BATTER 5 times really FAST)
I think there is a HUGE misconception that HEALTHY sometimes means
not much FLAVOR or DRABNESS (food can be drab, right?)
But this is completely UNTRUE.
And here is my CONTRIBUTION to PROVE this is not the case!
These muffins are super YUM on their own BUT I also JAZZED one up as a LOVELY COMPANION to my coffee yesterday....
Topped it off with some ALMOND BUTTER, FRESH STRAWBERRIES, COCONUT SMILES and more CHOCOLATE of course....
Do you see the OWL FACE?
The Best Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
1 1/4 cup spelt flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder OR melted choc chips
1 tsp baking soda
dash of salt
2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted and cooled
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 flax eggs (1Tbsp flaxmeal mixed with 3 Tbsp water for each egg)
1 cup shredded zucchini (pat it dry with paper towel)
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (1 of those little pots)
1/2 cup almond milk (or whatever kind you like)
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2. Combine spelt flour, cocoa powder if using, baking soda, and salt and set aside.
3. With electric mixer blend coconut oil, sugar, vanilla, flax eggs until smooth.
4. Blend in applesauce, zucchini, almond milk and melted chocolate if you are using. Otherwise the cocoa will be added with the dry ingredients.
5. Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet mixture. Stir in chocolate chips.
6. Bake 20 - 23 min or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in middle of muffin.
I sure DID!